Saturday, March 3, 2012

Empty

Saturday Centus is a writing exercise. Jenny Matlock posts a prompt each week and describes limitations the writer must adhere to. This week we were challenged to write 107 words and include: saying goodbye was harder than she thought. Here is my response:

Empty



When did life change? When did she become everything to Dad?  She couldn’t place it on a timeline. She couldn’t recall if it happened suddenly, when Mom died, or whether it sidled up little by little. She went through Dad’s refrigerator, tossing unrecognizable tidbits and packing perishables to take with her. She looked over her shoulder as she stepped into the hall, already feeling a sense of loss. Emptiness. What would she do with her time now? Saying goodbye was harder than she thought. But imagining the adventures Dad would have with his friends on the cruise brought a smile to her face, and her heart lightened. 



I have been participating in this writing challenge for a few weeks from my other blog. But, the prompt fit so well on Dad's blog, that I decided to post it here. To read other responses to the challenge, click on the Saturday Centus button below. 


11 comments:

  1. Nice. I like the happy ending, but you had me on the edge of my chair at first!
    ~Melody
    MerrieMelody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself hoping Dad has the time of his life!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! You had me going there. Clever change of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! I was thinking something else until I got to the cruise part. Glad there is a happy ending.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was wonderful. I hope the cruise provides a time of happiness for him...and for you.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you! I needed to read a happy ending today. I liked that the happy ending was a surprise as you led us to believe Dad may have passed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one! But somethng to think about though. That was the hardest part for my mom after my dad passed...she had taken care of him so much for seven months it was like "What now"? Hoping your dad is having a wonderful time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. He deserves that cruise with his friends! I hope he's having a ball!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a releif! A cruise! Thank you for not writing the other alternative!
    Well done.
    Best wishes,
    Anna

    Goodbye Pierre - SCwk 96

    You may also like to read this story expanded to 400 words for RFWers:
    Anna's RFWers Challenge No.33 'I love you because...'

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my.

    I'm relieved.

    I'm glad he's off on a cruise.

    I thought this was going another direction!

    I always appreciate a good twist!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!